Friday, February 1, 2013

What I Offer as Your Doula

My Role as Your Birth Doula: I will accompany you in labor, ensure a positive birth experience, and provide physical, emotional, and educational support. During labor, I can help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other pain management and comfort techniques. I can provide encouragement, reassurance, and perspective to you and your partner, and make suggestions for labor progress. I can help inform you so you are able to make decisions and advocate for yourself.

My Commitment: As your birth doula I provide two prenatal meetings, a two-week slot I am on-call for you surrounding your "due" date, and two post partum visits. During our prenatal meetings we will discuss the details of your pregnancy, your expecations and desires for your birth experience, your fears and concerns and prepare for labor and create your birth plan. We will also talk about how to know when to call and when and where we will meet when you are in labor. I will join you when you are in labor and remain with you until your baby is born. After birth, around the third or fourth day, about when your milk comes in, I will visit you in your home to admire your baby of course, see how you are coping, how breastfeeding and care of your newborn is going, and provide any referals that might be needed. At our last post-partum visit, about three weeks after the birth, we will discuss your birth experience, talk more about how things are going and changing, how you're sleeping, and of course more baby admiring! :)

Labor: I prefer that you call me when you think you are in labor no matter what time of day or date it is. When you call, I will help assess where you are in the labor process through questions and listening to how you cope with contractions. I can offer suggestions over the phone to help you relax and keep perspective. Once we decide together that you are ready for me to join you, I will head to where you are so you can continue laboring in comfort. Sometime after I arrive, you will be ready to be in your birth place, when that happens, we will make the calls and head in that direction. I will make every effort to accompany when you go into labor, sometimes this is impossible due to illness or other extreme circumstances. I work with other doulas and have back-ups available in this case, or you can choose a back-up doula of your own choice. When labor occurs outside the two-week on-call slot, I will still make every effort to accompany you in labor, however, I may be attending another birth, illness, or other circumstances and a back-up of your choice may attend in my place as well if you so desire. I will do everything possible to keep you informed of any issues that arrise.

 
Fees: My full fee for doula services is $600. I request a $300 deposit fee to ensure we are committed as doula and client. This covers prenatal meetings and secures the two-week time slot I will be on-call for you surrounding your due date. The remaining $300 birth fee is due at the first post partum home visit.

 
I also do private childbirth education classes upon request for an additional fee.
Coming soon - group childbirth education classed.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment